Thursday, August 9, 2012

Court Trip-Part I-Welcome To Ethiopia

There are many details to this trip that will stay with us forever.  I am a planner, not just a fly by the seat of your pants type person-big time planner, right down to the exact outfit I would be wearing the morning we met her (part of that was to consolidate what was packed in my defense).  I firmly believe that God has a sense of humor, one that at the time I was not amused by.  It was an adventure from the beginning- we arrived at the Airport in Rochester to find out that our first flight was cancelled. If we were staying state side it would not really have bothered me, but we weren't!!  We had to meet 2 connecting flights in order to be in Ethiopia.  They found us another flight and we were headed to Chicago and then to Frankfurt Germany where we would pick up our original flight to Addis. 
  I was scared to death to make this trip,  I mean that fear that is consuming.  I prayed and God gave me peace (once we were on the flights, better then than never).  Our first flight was a bit bumpy but once we got through that one the rest was smooth sailing, or flying should I say.  We finally made it to Addis, after around 19 hours of flying and some layovers-What an amazing feeling.  We were in the same city as our babygirl!  This is what you see when you first walk off of the plane and into the airport, I have dreamed about the moment we would get to see this sign after seeing it in so many peoples blogs from their adoption journey. 

             We got our Visas made it through customs and were of to get our luggage.  So we waited and watched as all of the luggage went by and ours was still not accounted for.  I began to get a little concerned but was told that there was another batch of luggage coming from the plane so we waited and waited some more-no luggage. We were then told that we had been misinformed and all of the luggage from the plane had been put on the belt.  At this point I was feeling the exhaustion but we found a worker and they took our information and told us that our luggage was on the plane that was leaving Frankfurt right then, it would be in Addis at 7:00 a.m. the next morning (they thought/hoped). Then after dealing with an incorrect guest house phone number and not finding our driver we made it to our guest house. I was able to call home very quickly and let them know that we made it safely and talk to the boys for literally all of 20 seconds each, enough to tell them I loved them but couldn't talk.  I/we missed them so much at this point (I know it had only been around 24 hours without them but something about being on the other side of the world makes it seem like so much longer). 
             We went back to our room where I realized that I had packed extra clothes and our toothbrushes in our carry on but no brush or comb-so I thought.  I then lost it, there may have been sobbing involved along with the fetal position-I'm not sure, we'll just leave it at I don't remember. Luke insisted I go to bed, I was quite distressed about not even being able to brush my hair (so petty I know but I wanted meeting our little girl to be perfect-that and exhaustion may have played a bit of role).  I actually did find a comb and was able to fall asleep. When we woke up the next morning the exhaustion and emotions of the night before were gone, I hoped our luggage arrived but was more concerned with meeting our baby girl.  We had a quick breakfast, went to the airport and received or luggage, went back to the guest house-finished getting ready and waited for our ride to the transition home.  There was such a peace that morning, we were so excited about what was to come but were just enjoying being in the moment of this entire experience.  There was another family at the guest house that week, they were there meeting their 8 year old son for the first time.  It was such a blessing to have them there, they had already been there a few days so new what was going on. 
           Hermella (an Ethiopian woman who works for our agency and speaks english) came with our driver to pick us up around 10:30 a.m.  The drive to the transition home was so heartwrenching and eye openeing.  I have been on missions trips before but this was different.  It was not the first time I had been in a third world country or the first time the wealth that we as Americans take for granted daily was brought to light.  It was however the first time I had a little girl with direct connections to the culture and environment that we were seeing. The first time I would forever be directly tied to this culture and we are so blessed for that connection.  Part of my heart remains in Ethiopia, not just because our baby is there but because it is such an amazing place.  The most beautiful smiles amongst severe poverty is something that I pray stays with us forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment